Message from the Provost
January 10, 2014
The new year is always an exciting time on the Bloomington campus. It offers us the opportunity not only to look forward with excitement toward the year ahead, but also to look back with pride at all that our campus has accomplished.
As we begin 2014, I would like to recognize a few of the milestones that helped to shape IU Bloomington in 2013.
- The Fall 2013 freshman class set new records for academic achievements.
- Five IU Bloomington professors received 2013 Guggenheim Fellowships.
- IU Bloomington ranked 11th in the nation and second in the Big Ten in The College Database's 50 Colleges Advancing Women in STEM. The Center of Excellence for Women in Technology launched on the Bloomington campus, and the Provost's Fund for Professional Development helped more than 100 women scientists travel for research and conferences.
- The School of Global and International Studies named Ambassador Lee A. Feinstein as its founding dean and announced the additions of former U.S. Sen. Richard Lugar and former U.S. Rep. Lee Hamilton to its faculty.
- Indiana University's first international gateway office opened in Gurgaon, India.
- The new School of Informatics and Computing officially came into being on July 1, 2013.
- The IU Board of Trustees approved the creation of the Media School.
- IU Bloomington added a new Work-Life Balance Coordinator with a primary focus on the wellbeing of staff members.
- Both Kiplinger's Personal Finance and Washington Monthly ranked IU Bloomington one of the "best values" among public universities, and Forbes ranked the Kelley School of Business MBA program among the Top 20 in the nation.
- Martin McCrory was appointed Vice Provost for Educational Inclusion and Diversity on the Bloomington campus.
- Idalene Kesner was named dean of the Kelley School of Business, becoming the first woman to lead the school; Mohammad R. Torabi was named dean of the IU School of Public Health - Bloomington; and Austen Parrish was named dean of the Maurer School of Law.
- The Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences celebrated its 125th Anniversary.
- The 2013 IU Dance Marathon raised a record $2.6 million for Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health.
- The Department of Contemporary Dance joined the Department of Theatre and Drama to form the new Department of Theatre, Drama, and Contemporary Dance.
- The campus and SGIS teamed up with the the Lotus World Music and Art Festival to celebrate the festival's 20th Anniversary with a kick-off concert in Alumni Hall.
- More than 150 faculty members, staff members, and students came together on IU Bloomington's Strategic Planning Committee to draft recommendations for the future of research, faculty, undergraduate education, graduate education, diversity, international initiatives for students, international programs, and facilities, and interdisciplinary initiatives in health sciences, design, arts and humanities, and the STIM disciplines on the IU Bloomington campus.
We begin 2014 with enthusiasm and eager anticipation, as the Campus Strategic Plan continues to take shape. I look forward to working closely with the campus community to strengthen this plan as we evolve together toward a third century of excellence at IU Bloomington.Lauren Robel Provost and Executive Vice President