Throughout the Fall 2013 semester, a Strategic Planning Committee comprising 167 IU Bloomington faculty members, staff members, and students met to consider the future of our campus as it approaches its bicentennial year in 2020.
Eleven teams formed to thoughtfully and rigorously approach questions related to faculty, research, undergraduate education, graduate education, diversity, international initiatives for students, international programs and facilities, and interdisciplinary initiatives in the areas of humanities and arts, health sciences, design, and STIM (science, technology, informatics, and math).
Each of the teams consulted with a range of campus community members to gain further insight and direction in their efforts. Additionally, each team made periodic updates available to the broad IU Bloomington community.
Provost Robel asked the teams to consider several central questions during their discussions:
- What is the most compelling case for a residential, research-intensive campus at a public university now and in the future?
- How does IU Bloomington make that case in a powerful way among all residential, research-intensive campuses?
- How can campus-level resources best facilitate and support our commitment to a third century of academic excellence?
Guided by these questions and the IU Principles of Excellence, each team presented its report to Provost Robel at the close of the Fall 2013 semester.
The reports formed the basis for the Provost's Draft Strategic Plan that is now available for public comment.
A full list of team members can be found here: IU Bloomington Strategic Planning Team Membership
- Research: Renewing our Research and Creative Excellence
- Sarita Soni, Chair
- Faculty: Strengthening and Renewing our Faculty
- Tom Gieryn, Chair
- Graduate Education: Assuring the Success of our Graduate Students
- David Daleke, Chair
- Undergraduate Education: Assuring an Excellent Undergraduate Experience
- Diversity Recruitment: Increasing Recruitment of Underrepresented Minority Students
- Martin McCrory, Co-Chair
- David Johnson, Co-Chair
- International Initiatives
- Hillary Kahn, Chair
- Programs and Facilities
- M.A. Venkataramanan, Chair
- Interdisciplinary Initiatives
- STIM Initiatives
- Bob Sherwood, Chair
- Integrated Programs in Humanities and Arts
- Jonathan Elmer, Chair
- Health Sciences
- Larry Humes, Chair
- Integrated Program in Design
- Kate Rowold, Chair
- STIM Initiatives