This week, we are thrilled to welcome more than 350 incoming faculty and more than 12,500 new graduate and undergraduate students who will help write the next chapter of IU Bloomington’s storied history.
A year of promise
Of the 350 new faculty:
37%are tenured or tenure-track faculty and librarians
42%ARE LECTURERS, CLINICAL FACULTY, PROFESSORS OF PRACTICE, RESEARCH SCIENTISTS/ASSOCIATES, AND MORE
21%are visiting faculty and visiting librarians
With the launch of our IUB 2030 strategic plan, together we have a clear and renewed focus on our enduring mission to ensure the success of our students, pursue transformative research and creativity, and positively impact the world around us.
The upcoming year will be filled with action and opportunity, including:
- Ongoing implementation of our strategic plan, including the launch of several key initiatives and working groups
- The launch of the second phase of the Faculty 100 hiring initiative, focused on existing and emerging areas of opportunity in research and creativity and academic study
- The take-off of our new IU Innovates Hub to support further innovation and entrepreneurship
- New outreach efforts to celebrate our successes and engage more fully with communities on a local and global scale
- Continuing focus on your success and well-being as faculty and staff, including new efforts to bolster support and reduce pain points to let you focus as much as possible on the life-changing teaching, research, and service you are here to pursue.
As we enter the new academic year, I encourage us all to embrace a growth mindset and find even more opportunities to connect our work meaningfully to the people and communities we serve. Whether that means sharing your work in a new setting, taking a fresh look at pedagogy, improving your lab or office practices, building a new interdisciplinary collaboration, pursuing a new grant or program, enhancing learning experiences for students, developing a new area of expertise, or simply working toward solutions for challenges we face, I wish for us a year of great progress.
To reach our highest aspirations for IUB will take all our best efforts and creativity.
I am excited and honored to join you in boldly leading IUB to new heights of excellence and impact. Best wishes for a wonderful year, and I cannot wait to see what we will accomplish together.