FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Indiana University Bloomington Provost and Executive Vice President Rahul Shrivastav has appointed a new committee to identify candidates for the position of Vice Provost for Student Life.
The VPSL will lead the recently announced Office of Student Life, a new structure developed in alignment with the IUB 2030 strategic plan and dedicated to improving the experience of all students at IUB — undergraduate, graduate and professional.
“I am eager for the opportunities this new structure and position present in terms of uniting support across schools,” Shrivastav said. “Through closer collaboration with faculty and academic leaders, we can more fully bridge academic and campus life, better serve diverse student populations and groups, improve student health and well-being, engage with students more proactively and foster stronger connections for students with each other and across the IU community.”
The VPSL will report to the provost and serve on the campus leadership team. The position will also have a dotted-line report to IU’s university-wide Vice President for Student Success Julie Payne-Kirchmeier and will work with senior administrators across IU campuses as the Bloomington campus's primary representative for student life.
The VPSL will oversee 21 intentionally connected departments that both direct and support the academic and co-curricular needs of students and IU Bloomington. The Office of Student Life consists of existing student-focused units falling under the categories of Health and Well-being, Student Care and Advocacy, and Involvement and Belonging.
These departments currently employ approximately 600 full-time staff and faculty, along with more than 1,000 part-time student and community staff. They comprise a combined budget of more than $30 million. The office collaborates with multiple partners and works most closely with academic deans and the offices of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; Enrollment Management; Graduate Education, International Services; IU Police; and Undergraduate Education, in fulfillment of the commitment to student success.
David Daleke, Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Dean of the IU Bloomington University Graduate School, will chair the committee. The search committee includes representatives of faculty, staff and students at IU Bloomington. In addition to Daleke as chair, members are:
- Hannah Armstrong, Chief of Staff, Division of Student Affairs
- Danielle DeSawal, Bloomington Faculty Council President-Elect; Clinical Professor of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
- David Eron, Masters Student in Higher Education and Student Affairs, School of Education; Graduate Assistant for the Student Involvement and Leadership Center
- Sara Ivey Lucas, Director of Residential Life and Assistant Dean, Division of Student Affairs
- Larry McDowell III, Co-Director, Indiana University Funding Board; Undergraduate Student, Counseling and Student Services
- Aaliyah Raji, Student Body President of Indiana University Student Government; Undergraduate Student, Kelley School of Business
- Alison Sinadinos, Assistant Director for the Women in STEM Living Learning Center
- Bridget Stomberg, Undergraduate Program Faculty Chair, Associate Professor, Glaubinger Chair for Undergraduate Leadership, Kelley School of Business
- Sacha Thieme, Assistant Vice Provost and Executive Director of Admissions
- Amy Berndtson, Senior Lecturer, Biology
- Vasti Torres, Interim Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education; Executive Associate Dean, School of Education
- RJ Woodring, Associate Dean for Educational Programs, Paul H. O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs
Julie Payne-Kirchmeier, Vice President for Student Success, will serve as an ex officio, non-voting member of the committee.
This search is led by IU's Executive Search team.