FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BLOOMINGTON, Ind.— Indiana University Bloomington Provost and Executive Vice President Rahul Shrivastav has appointed a committee to identify candidates for a new position: vice provost for graduate education and dean of the IU Bloomington Graduate School.
IU is currently transitioning from the Indiana University Graduate School — a universitywide structure for graduate education — to campus-based graduate schools in Bloomington and Indianapolis. The new IU Bloomington Graduate School will launch during the spring 2023 semester.
David Daleke has served as vice provost for graduate education and vice provost for health sciences since 2013, and as associate dean of the University Graduate School since 2005. In July 2022, he became interim dean of the University Graduate School. Daleke is also a Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of the IU School of Medicine-Bloomington.
The work of the Task Force on Graduate Education continues as an important part of IUB 2030, a strategic plan to guide IU Bloomington for the next seven years. More than 90 faculty, staff, and students in five working groups — ranging from Financial Support to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion — took part in Phase One of the IUB 2030 strategic planning efforts in the Future of Graduate Education Task Force.
The new dean will work closely with faculty and leadership at IU and throughout the state, as well as with peers and thought leaders across the U.S. and around the globe, to strengthen graduate education, improve student success across disciplines, and advocate for the importance of graduate education at IU Bloomington.
The Bloomington campus enrolls more than 11,000 graduate and 35,000 undergraduate students who have access to 22 thematic and academic living-learning centers, 200+ research centers and institutes, and more than 200 graduate and bachelor’s programs within 17 schools and colleges.
Rick Van Kooten, Executive Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, will chair the committee, which includes representatives of faculty, staff, and students at IU Bloomington. In addition to Van Kooten as chair, members are:
- Charles Dann III, Associate Chair and Associate Professor of Chemistry, Indiana University
- Shelly Gerber, Graduate Recorder, University Graduate School, Indiana University
- Sarah Theule Lubienski, Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, School of Education, Indiana University
- Laureen A. Maines, Conrad Prebys Chair and Professor of Accounting, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University
- Gavin Mariano, Ph.D. Scholar at the School of Education, Indiana University
- Diane J. Reilly, Provost Professor and Chair, Department of Art History, Indiana University
- Rowland Ricketts,Professor, Studio Art, Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture and Design, Indiana University
- Selma Sabanovic, Professor of Informatics, Associate Dean of Graduate Education, Luddy School of Informatics, Computing and Engineering, Indiana University
- Antonio Williams, Interim Assistant Dean of Doctoral Research, Education Growth and Elevation, Beinner Family Endowed Professor in Sport Marketing and Management, School of Public Health, Indiana University
Matt Waller, Senior Executive Advisor to the Provost, will serve as an ex officio, non-voting member of the committee. Further search support will be provided by Brandi Host and Abby Van Alstine Brown of the Office of the Provost, and BJ Ferrand of the Office of the Executive Dean.