October 18, 2022
Dear Members of the IUB Community:
Yesterday, I was thrilled and energized to join more than 200 faculty, staff, students, and community partners at the Indiana Memorial Union to officially launch a bold and ambitious strategic planning process for our campus.
IUB 2030 will define the next steps in our future together as an IU community.
Our 25 working groups include more than 300 individuals focused on three core pillars: Student Success and Opportunity; Transformative Research and Creativity; and Service to the State and Beyond.
In each area, participants will be asked to call upon their knowledge and expertise—as well as their networks of colleagues and peers—to surface tangible ideas on how to move IU Bloomington forward into our third century.
At our kickoff meeting, I formally charged the planning teams, led by the executive committee, to deliver a recommended strategic plan for IU Bloomington by March of next year. Our planning process will be guided at every level by the following Core Values:
- Inclusion: intentionally involving stakeholders and constituencies in shaping the future.
- Transparency: regularly communicating purpose, progress, decisions, and next steps.
- Collaboration: promoting silo-busting, barrier-removing, and boundary-spanning actions.
- Equity: using an “equity/inclusion lens” for planning and decision-making.
- Innovation: generating new, creative, and cutting-edge ideas in the planning process.
- Excellence: striving to achieve the highest levels of performance and prominence.
- Attention to strengths: leveraging prior investments and sources of distinction and differentiation.
- Focus on the future: building a next generation research campus.
This plan will also be guided by you, the members of the IU Bloomington community, who work diligently each day to make our campus distinctly successful.
As we begin this planning, I encourage you to engage actively throughout this process, interacting with peers and colleagues on planning teams, providing feedback, and sharing your ideas through the IUB 2030 website.
By next spring, I am assured that our collective efforts will create a meaningful and ambitious plan for IU Bloomington that leads us to an even brighter future for 2030 and beyond. Thank you for all that you do.
Let’s build the future together!
Provost & Executive Vice President
Indiana University Bloomington